Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cool packaging

After starting this class on packaging I've become addicted to looking at cool packaging online. Especially on The Dieline and Lovely Package.

Recently they had a post about the packaging for the 826 National store/tutoring location in Valencia, CA. I had heard about the NYC location of the non-profit organization that aims to tutor kids ages 6-18, each location disguised as a fictional store of some sort with the tutoring center hidden in the back (woah, runon sentence). The NYC location is a Superhero supply store, and I never realized there are different locations around the country. You can see all the locations here

Anyways, all of the interior design, signage, appliances and product packaging were designed by Stefan Bucher and Sam Potts. The store in Valencia is disguised as a Pirate Supply store and images of the packaging were what I saw on the Dieline. Theyre pretty incredible. I think it'd be unbelievably fun to design packaging for fictional products. Here are some of the pictures:

826 Catalog_med res-18_wm826 Catalog_med res-22_wm
826 Catalog_med res-20_wm
826 Catalog_med res-27_wm

826 Catalog_med res-28_wm

In other news, we had our second challenge in packaging class due the other day. Our assignment was to redesign two packages for the Walmart brand Great Value. The key was to design the packaging so that the consumer immediately knows what the product is and to include a picture for customers who don't speak english. The biggest challenge was designing packaging that looks 'affordable' and not too expensive for the walmart shopper.

This challenge was hard for me because I tried really hard to make the packaging not look 'too nice' because I thought I'd get called out for it. So, essentially, I think I went a little too far with the ugliness, and my packaging is somewhat tacky. anyways, I did pancakes and maple syrup:






No comments: