Sunday, June 7, 2009

Caroline's visit to Atlanta

A couple of weeks ago, Caroline came to Atlanta for a long weekend. I keep meaning to post some pictures but I just haven't gotten around  to it. It was the first time for me to have a friend visit me here so it was nice to show someone around the city. I also hadn't done many of the tourist-y things yet so it was fun to get the chance. Unfortunately it rained most of the time except for friday so we had to spend a lot of time indoors.

She got in Thursday night but her flight was delayed and didn't land till nearly 3am. I took the trusty Garmin to navigate my way, but unfortunately had some trouble when it told me to take a different way than the signs on the interstate. I ended up following Garmin and not the signs and consequently got mildly lost right next to the airport. luckily i found my way back to more signs and picked her up. 

Saturday we got up and had a late brunch at the original Flying Biscuit over near Little Five Points. It was pretty amazing. I had never eaten there before and ordered a meal that included eggs over medium, black beans, tomatilla sauce and sour cream. it was pretty incredible and caroline and i became pretty hooked.



After that, we wandered around the shops for awhile and then drove over to Little Five to walk around some. It's such a neat area and reminds me a lot of Austin and Berkely. A nice little funky area in the city. I wish our school was located over there. 

We then drove around some and looked at all the beautiful houses. I can't get over how much I love the houses in Atlanta. They're so unique and southern, I would love to live in some of the areas around here. 




Next, we headed to the aquarium. Since it was friday we figured it would be less crowded but it was pretty packed. The only lucky thing was that I got a student discount and only had to pay half of the original ticket price. Perks of staying in school!  We slowly navigated our way around all the different sections and then couldn't resist going back to the enormous tank in one section where there is a floor to ceiling viewing area and a place to sit and watch all the fish. We stretched out on the seats and watched the fish for another half hour. haha, we were pretty entertained to say the least.



Next we headed  back toward Buckhead and got ready for seminar at PC. I took Caroline with me to see the seminar at school which was pretty great cause i got to show her around and introduce her to some people. the seminar definitely wasn't my favorite of the quarter (it was Dragon Rouge) but it was still fun to let her experience some of what I do at PC.  We went out to eat with a bunch of people from school and after that went to Sato and Matheus's and played some Apples to Apples.

Saturday we went to Flip for lunch, wandered around Castleberry Hill some and then headed to the Graphic Imperative exhibit at the MODA with people from school. We rode the MARTA downtown to avoid having to park which is always convenient. Afterward we went to another PC students apartment and hung out for awhile. 
at flip:

on the marta:


Sunday we got up and went to church at 11am and then ate our second helping of Flying Saucer, this time at the location on Piedmont and with my roommate as well as Caroline's good family friend. We ended the weekend with the dinner trip to Varsity downtown and dropping Caroline off at the airport.



I hope that others can continue to visit while I'm here so I can show them around the wonderful city of Atlanta!

No comments: