Friday, May 14, 2010

Live Music

The last couple of weeks I have been to an abundance of live shows. This is somewhat rare since up until this point during the time I have been in Atlanta I think I have only been to one show, which was Coldplay last summer. It's not that I don't want to go to concerts it just never seems to fit in my schedule or work out.

 Anyways, in the past month I have seen Yeasayer at the Masquerade, Owl City at the Tabernacle, Phoenix at the Tabernacle, Ben Harper at Verizon up in Alpharetta, Eli Young Band at a corny country bar called Cowboys in Kennesaw and Zac Brown Band back up in Alpharetta.

Yeasayer at Masquerade

Phoenix Show at the Tabernacle
Owl City at the Tabernacle

Guster (who started for Ben Harper)

Eli Young Band

Me, Emily and Kevin with the Eli Young Band

I'd have to say my favorite show was Phoenix. We bought our tickets way back in January so there was a lot of anticipation and expectations surrounding the show. The Tabernacle is an incredible venue and any show would be fun there. No assigned seats and a small venue makes for an amazing experience. It's an old church that was converted into a concert space. Phoenix puts on a pretty fantastic show; I saw them in October at ACL in front of thousands of people and seeing them closer up was pretty awesome. There have also been rumors that they could be back for ACL 2010, so I might possibly be able to see them a 3rd time. Fingers crossed! The lineup comes out on Tuesday!

I have to mention that Eli Young Band was pretty fun as well.  I went with two of my friends who also went to University of Texas and the show was held at this super cheesy country western bar called Cowboys.  Pretty much exactly what you'd expect: big wooden dance floor, smoky air, a big disco ball, hilarious people watching. Anyways, Eli Young Band is pretty huge back in Texas but they aren't as well known here in Georgia.  Luckily that meant that the show was for a relatively small audience and we got to watch almost immediately in front of the stage. There was 1 row of people between us and the band. They put on a great performance and afterwards we went and talked to the band, comparing Texas stories and such. haha since they are from Texas as well. They were super nice and even agreed to take a few pictures with us. Needless to say, Emily and I were pretty star-struck, even if unnecessarily. haha

No comments: